Thursday, May 22, 2008

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars - Page 59


I made this cookie to take to PEPS (our parenting group that has turned into great friendships). I felt the need to make it up to one of the fathers, Brad, for not having bake-goods the last time we hosted. He gave me lots of grief and swears that's the only reason he comes to the get-togethers. Luckily, non of our kids have nut allergies, so I thought this would be a great cookie for the kids to enjoy. Plus, I was hoping to get Ava to eat one, realize peanut butter isn't all that bad, and pig out on the ton of calories I think these dense cookies hold.

This recipe used up almost an entire jar of Kirkland's Organic Creamy Peanut Butter (YUM!!) and a jar of raspberry jam, not to mention all the chopped peanuts on top. This made a huge batch in a 9 x 13 pan - I think I would only make a half batch in the future. I also baked this recipe on the lowest time recommended based on all the previous cookies. Well, it's the one time I could have probably baked them for the longest time. I'm not sure what the consistency was supposed to be, but these were like biting into a thick slab of peanut butter. We all looked like dogs trying to lick the gooey peanut butter off the roofs of our mouths. They were rich and beyond dense. I took half a batch to PEPS cut into squares that I quickly found were too big. They were just too much to eat that big of a cookie at one time. The other half was cut into smaller bars and given to Kevin to take to work. He reported back that the guys all loved them and that they gobbled them up right away. The flavor was that of one of the best peanut butter and jelly sandwiches you've ever had. But the texture was just too much for me to handle. I don't enjoy all the work of chewing these up and then feeling like a brick hit your stomach all within the first bite. Ava couldn't get past the texture of these and barely took a nibble. So much for getting her filled up on tons of calories and turning her on to peanut butter. I'll try these again when she get to be school aged.

FLAVOR:


TEXTURE:

No comments: