Monday, May 12, 2008

Iced Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies - Page 77

This cookie was calling me. It's looked delicious and somewhat nutritious (well, as cookies go). It doesn't have much butter and it's full of applesauce, oats, and golden raisins. These were quick and easy to make and best of all, you get to top them with icing!

Once again, I had to adjust the baking time. It calls for 13-15 minutes and I had to pull them out around 12-13 minutes. I'm finding it quite frustrating that Martha's staff can't seem to get the baking times correct. I keep thinking that maybe it's because they are in the Northeast and that could possibly make a difference. But really our altitude and weather conditions are not that far off from each other, so I don't think that is the case. I never have problems with any other confections - boxed or from recipe - so I'm leaning towards it being a problem on their end.

The other thing I wish I had adjusted was the amount of liquid in the icing. When I read the proportions or liquid versus confectioners' sugar, it looked like it would make a runny glaze instead of a thicker icing. I trusted the recipe and it definitely came out thin and runny - not at all like the photos in the book. Because of this, I had to drizzle the cookies twice, and they still just looked shiny when the glaze set up (instead of the pretty white ribbons of icing I had imagined).

Even with the less than perfect "icing" these cookies are divine! They are what I love about a good cookie: soft, chewy, with great texture and bursts of flavor. I think I could have eaten the entire batch myself. Luckily, I sent 1 1/2 dozen with Kevin for the guys at his work before I could get too hooked on them. He said they were gone immediately. Ava loved them too and scarfed down the couple she got (which is saying a lot for a little girl who eats like a bird and it picky of her cookies). I want to make these again and again, but I need to move on to the next test subject.

FLAVOR:


TEXTURE:

No comments: