Saturday, April 26, 2008

Peanut Butter Cookies - Page 184


Ava helped me pick this week's cookie. She picked "Peanut Crisps" from the index which made me think of regular ol' Peanut Butter Cookies. I checked the ingredient list and we had everything on hand. So, we had a winner.

I've never been real big on peanut butter cookies, but I don't dislike them either. It's just not what I would pick if given a choice of cookies. I thought these would be fun to make with Ava. I only remember making these once or twice as a little girl, but I know that it was fun smashing the fork into the tops. This recipe called for us to first flatten the ball of dough with a floured glass. Failure.

I'm not sure why, but my dough is coming out very soft (this happened last week too). Now, I will say, that I used the whisk attachment on my Kitchen Aid mixer because my paddle attachment has been missing since we moved. But, I don't know if that would cause the dough to be so soft. The only other thing different was the fact that I only had about half the unsalted butter and used regular butter for the rest. That shouldn't make much of a difference. I did use Kirkland's organic, creamy peanut butter (yum!) which might cause the dough to be softer.

We skipped the glass step and moved right on to the fork. Ava thought it was neat and even got to try it a couple of times. Of course, she was a little over-zealous, but that's part of the fun of baking!

I baked two dozen (2 pans) of cookies at once - swapping the pans and rotating them half-way through the baking time. The bottom pan turned out great but the top pan got over cooked. I think I'm going to have to really watch the cook-time on these recipes, so far they have been too long.

Kevin tried the first cookie. He finished it off right away and then said that you need a glass of milk with them. He expected them to be chewy, not dry, and I informed him that they usually are dry. I had a generous bite of one, and to say they are dry is an understatement. It sucked every, last drop of moisture out of my mouth. They taste really nice, but after a big chug of water, I was pretty much done with them. The odd thing is that they are really greasy to the touch (2 sticks of butter, 1 cup of peanut butter, and 1/2 cup of peanuts will do that, I guess) so the dryness really catches you off guard. It will be interesting it see what others think of them.

FLAVOR:


TEXTURE:

No comments: